Here you will find a list of the main symptoms and effects of burnout. Burnout affects both men and women and all ages are concerned.
As said in the article that describes what burnout is, this syndrome settles insidiously in the life of a person who may not realize the upheaval that has taken place in him or her before months or years have passed.
It is for this reason that the people around a person who is undergoing a burn out play an important role because they are the most likely to see changes in behavior, mood and reaction. Their remarks, their comments must always call for introspection: Did I really react like this? Is my behavior different? Am I feeling well? etc.
However, the witnesses of such alterations not always aware of the symptoms of burnout. The person suffering from burn out may unwittingly minimize them or link them to a phase of depression. This is why it is important for everyone to know them, to help themselves or to help others.
When people are subject to a burn out, especially in the resistance phase, they tend to change, they are not really the same anymore. The list of symptoms and effects of burnout below may therefore help you to spot these alterations…
The physical symptoms of burnout
- Disturbed sleep, difficulty falling asleep, nocturnal awakenings, permanent fatigue, migraines, loss of balance or low energy, etc…
- Somatic manifestations such as heart palpitations, anxiety attacks
- Unusual physical pain (stomach aches, stomach problems, joint pain)
- Skin problems
- Changes in food intake with binge-eating, cravings… or on the contrary a significant loss of appetite
The psychological symptoms of burnout
- A loss of patience on almost all subjects
- A loss of desire and pleasure
- Decreased empathy
- Impulsiveness, more aggressive, even violent behavior
- Emotional outbursts or fits of tears
- A feeling of helplessness or even incomprehension
- Tendancy to forget oneself
- Feeling of insecurity
- A loss of control over what happens to us
- A devaluation
- The feeling of being misunderstood. “Why are I being told about? This point is important because, in the burn-out syndrome, the person is literally running at full throttle ! It is impossible for him to slow down or stop
- A greater desire to isolate oneself even on pleasant occasions
- Cynical and even nasty reflections
- Addictive behaviors.
The cognitive symptoms of burnout
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss
- Difficulty in understanding, due to exhaustion
- Difficulties confining to anxiety and irrational fears in taking initiatives or decisions
- Repetitive negative attitudes
You can assess your burnout for free by taking the tests. They will only take you a few minutes!